This is an exciting time in Canadian political history. It’s an exciting time for the Toronto-Danforth Greens.
The Green Party of Canada has never had as much momentum as we do now. In this upcoming election we are perfectly positioned to make a historic move and dramatically increase our representation in Parliament.
I hope you will give me an opportunity to build on this momentum, and support my bid to be the next Green candidate in Toronto-Danforth.
Update: Chris was selected by the membership to be the Green Party of Canada candidate for Toronto-Danforth.
I am a long time resident of Toronto-Danforth, having lived here since 1999. I have been very active in supporting my east end community, from sponsoring local youth soccer teams to supporting the fight against the Toronto Island airport expansion. During this time I have had the opportunity to build close relationships with the residents, something that is essential in running a successful grass-roots campaign.
I have also been an active member of the Toronto-Danforth’s Green Party serving four terms on the Executive, as the riding’s Financial Agent. I have come to know many of the key members in our riding from the most active volunteers to those who donate on a regular bases.
During my tenure I have also been on the campaign teams that fought the 2011 general election, the 2012 by-election to fill Jack Layton’s empty seat, and was actively involved in Jane Farrow’s municipal campaign. Working on these three campaigns in Toronto-Danforth has given me a unique insight into how the Greens can win our local riding in 2015.
My work outside Toronto-Danforth directly supports my political work inside the riding. As a director / producer I have both taught at the university level and have extensive experience in:
- media relations
- volunteer management
All skills essential to running a winning campaign.
I believe in:
- A smart, modern economy that serves Canadians, and not the other way around. An economy that promotes growth through international trade that is fair to all, creates thousands of jobs through investment in green industries and is based on a revenue-neutral carbon pricing system that reflects the true cost of products.
- Reforming the voting system by implementing proportional representation and taking steps that move us away from the party system. Doing so will promote true local representation that is free from external pressures that do not necessarily serve local constituents.
- Decentralizing the PMO, allowing MPs holding power to vote with their heart, and not vote as they are whipped.
- Recognizing the injustice done to our First Nation’s peoples, and moving towards implementing the sprit of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Immediately taking action to repel the Canada-China FIPA and return Canada’s economic and democratic sovereignty to its citizens.
- Bringing in aggressive measures required to avoid catastrophic climate impact by implementing an economy-wide strategy to reduce GHG (avoiding global average temperatures reaching 2 degrees C above pre-Industrial revolution levels), while we make the transition to a clean energy economy.
- And finally, stopping the Energy East, Northern Gateway and Keystone XL pipelines from being built.
My website, www.vote2015.ca, offers more information on my background. I hope you will take a moment to visit this site and consider supporting my efforts in turning Toronto-Danforth green in 2015.
Sincerely, Chris Tolley